Pages

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Lena Recollet- Arts Mentor

Just thought I'd take the time to introduce myself to those who are curious. I am one of the Arts Mentors at 7th Gen until the end of March. I'm a multidisciplinary artist from the beautiful Wikwemikong Unceded Reserve, on the largest fresh water island in the world which is, Manitoulin and also home of country singer Crystal Lynn Shawanda, worlds first female champion hoop dancer Lisa Odjig, artists Daphne Odjig, Leland Bell Oh, the list can go on. We are very creative people by nature.
But enough about them, I'm blogging to blog about me and 7 Gen. Well, I'm an alumni of the Centre for Indigenous Theatre. I'm a poet and vocalist in the new group Red Slam Collective. Former resident artist of Red Pepper Spectacle Arts from 2003-2009. And emerging playwright, my first short film acted in, directed by and written by me "Eggs Instead" received the Cynthia Lickers Sage Award for Emerging Talent.
I live my life enjoying what I do. Let's face it life isn't perfect and it takes a lot of hard work to succeed in this world. If you love what you do it makes the obstacles a little bit more manageable, we have just a little bit more energy when lack of sleep is required. Being a mother also means being happy for my child and well kids are observant and it's just wrong to lie. So I try my best to stay true to work that I enjoy.
Speaking of which, on Mondays from 6-8: I will be working with Marie Gaudet mentoring children on youth on creating thier own educational short theatre presentations about tobacco. Come on out, or tell people about it. Also, read our Drop In blog and come by and work on something. We also have proposal forms to fill out if you have a workshop in mind you'd like to participate in. Make it Happen!!

Lena Recollet-Arts Mentor

No comments:

Post a Comment